I use cinnamon on a daily basis. As a regular consumer of this fragrant spice, I add cinnamon to my oatmeal in the morning. Sometimes I just mix some cinnamon into plain yogurt. As you understand, cinnamon is definitely one of my favorite flavors in the world. I love the warmth, the taste and the aroma!
As a big fan of cinnamon pastries, I wanted to make a cinnamon roll pound cake. I got excited of the idea of making a cinnamon roll cake that takes only few minutes to make. This is actually a really easy cake to make; you mix everything in a bowl and layer it in a baking pan with cinnamon and sugar combined. Once the cake is baked I glazed it with sugar glaze that made it so pretty and delicious.
If you like cinnamon – you will fall in love with this cake. It is very soft, fragrant, delicate and really easy to prepare. Its assembly in layers creates a sweet look that is a bit reminiscent of cinnamon rolls. Moreover, it disperses the cinnamon wonderfully inside the batter. This is such a great cake for the autumn days that are finally here, and in general.
Looking for more desserts with cinnamon? Try these: mini cinnamon roll | cinnamon rugelach cookies | maple and cinnamon honey cookies | cinnamon maple cake with walnuts
Cinnamon Roll Cake
For the cake:
- 80 ml. 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 150 grams 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 180 ml. 3/4 cup milk
- 175 grams 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- For the cinnamon-sugar mix:
- 50 grams 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the sugar glaze:
- 5-6 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons of cold water
Preheat oven to 180 Celsius degrees and grease the pan.
In a bowl, whisk oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, salt and milk to a smooth mixture.
Add flour and baking powder and stir until smooth and combined.
In a separate bowl, mix light brown sugar and cinnamon to a uniform mixture.
Pour about 1/3 of the cake batter into the pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mix. Top with another 1/3 of batter, some more cinnamon-sugar mix and finish with the remaining batter and cinnamon-sugar mix.
Using a knife, "scramble" the mixtures together to create a marble pattern.
Bake the cake for 30-40 minutes or until it is firm to the touch, very golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely and remove from the pan. Place the cake on a serving plate.
In a bowl put powdered sugar and a little water and mix well. The mixture should be in the texture of raw tahini. If the mixture is too thick - add a little water, if it is too thin - add a little powdered sugar.
Using a spoon, pour the icing over the top of the cake and let the icing set for about 15 minutes at room temperature.
- The cake is at its best at room temperature, but is kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze the cake for up to two months well-wrapped.
- Gluten-free version: Use gluten free flour mix in the same amount instead of all-purpose flour.
- Dairy free version: Use soy milk or any other plant-based milk in the same amount instead of milk.
- Prefer a vegan cake? In addition to using plant-based milk, replace the egg with 50 grams of unsweetened apple puree.
- If desired, you can add some chopped nuts to the cake batter.
- The cake can also be made with white or 80% whole spelt flour.