Cornbread is one of the most popular quick breads in South America, but lately I have become addicted to it at home too; even though I don’t live anywhere near America. I think of it as a kind of combination of bread and a fluffy pound cake; the texture is a bit more dense than regular cake, and it is an excellent addition to every meal. Just like these cornbread rolls.
I have made these next cornbread rolls a million times over the past months for many occasions; they are the easiest rolls you can make in the world- soft, delicious and just a great snack. They are a little sweet, but you can definitely reduce the amount of sugar and get cornbread rolls that will fit any kind of meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Making them is a breeze and so so easy even kids can make it! You only need a bowl and a spatula, no mixer, and the ingredients are common – no yeast or anything like this. Just mix the batter quickly, transfer to a muffin pan and bake for a few minutes. If you want, you can prepare the recipe in a loaf cake pan and slice it just like regular bread, but I truly recommend this individual version.
Also, these cornbread rolls are a great treat to have in a sealed bag in your freezer for. You can make them even a month ahead and keep them frozen for quite a long time. Before serving, simply thaw the rolls on the kitchen counter, heat them up a bit in the oven, and serve them with some butter and jam for a delicious afternoon snack. You just have to try these!
Quick Cornbread Rolls
For the rolls:
- 160 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 80 grams brown sugar
- 180 grams of fine corn flour
- 400 ml. sour cream or natural soy yogurt for dairy free version
- 1 large egg
- 100 grams of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius degrees and grease the muffin pan.
In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and corn flour until combined.
Add sour cream, egg and oil and stir until you get slightly sticky dough.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces (wet your hands for a neat work) and roll each part into a ball. Place inside the pan.
Sprinkle sesame seeds at the top of each roll.
Bake the cornbread rolls for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Keep the rolls in the freezer for up to two weeks. It is recommended to serve them warm for an ideal texture.
- Instead of sesame seeds you can decorate the rolls with sunflower seeds, pumpkin or poppy seeds.
- If the recipe is prepared in and loaf cake pan, the baking time will last longer.
- If you want non-sweet rolls, reduce the amount of sugar to only 20-25 grams and increase the amount of salt to one teaspoon.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.