I only started liking poppy seeds in the past few years, but ever since I got it – I just LOVE adding it to pastries, cakes, cookies and breads I bake.
This is one of my favorite breads, and I always have it in a sealed Ziploc bag in the freezer. This walnut bread is very easy to make, and rich with poppy seeds and chopped walnuts. Perfect for sandwiches, breakfast and dinner.
Poppy Seeds Walnut Bread
2 large loaves
80 grams freshly ground poppy seeds
320 grams whole wheat flour
350 grams all-purpose flour
500 ml. lukewarm water
15 grams active dry yeast
1 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. olive oil
25 grams fine salt
100 grams chopped walnuts
Flour for dusting
- In a bowl of a mixer with a dough-hook put poppy seeds, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, water, yeast, maple syrup, olive oil and salt and knead for about 12-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky. If during kneading the dough seems a little too dry, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Towards the end of kneading add chopped nuts.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface; knead for another 2-3 minutes and form a ball shape.
- Put the dough in a lightly floured large bowl, cover and let rise for about 1-2 hours until the dough doubles in volume.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 equal parts.
- Form each part into a loaf shape.
- Place the loaves on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour until almost double the volume.
- Preheat oven to 250c degrees. If you have a baking stone, place it at the bottom of the oven.
- Create incisions on the top of the loaves using a very sharp knife and dust the top with some flour.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 180c degrees and continue to bake for another 18-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a rack, slice and serve.
- You can use any kind of nut you like instead of walnuts.
- You can add raisins or cranberries into the dough and get extra sweetness.
- Keep the walnut bread in the freezer (preferably sliced) wrapped with nylon or in a sealed bag.
- It is very important to use freshly ground poppy seeds, in order to get the best result.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.