A few days ago, I met Ariel, who is a passionate baker focusing mainly on healthy recipes. We spent a lovely day together, baking all kinds of cookies and treats with unusual baking ingredients such as vegetables and legumes.
She brought homemade healthy chocolate chip cookies with a secret ingredient and asked me to try and guess what is was. After a few wrong answers I finally gave it up and asked her to tell me. You can only imagine how surprised I was when she told me the secret ingredient was no less than chickpeas!
I simply couldn’t tell! The cookies are absolutely amazing – soft, chocolatey and rich in texture that melted in my mouth. Simply one of the best chocolate chip cookies I ever had. I asked Ariel for the recipes, and after we made the cookies together, I’m glad to share it with you too. These gluten free chocolate chip cookies are also vegan, very easy to make and require only a few ingredients. If you like soft chocolate chip cookies – you’re going to love these.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas
For the cookies:
- 170 grams cooked chickpeas can be strained out of a can or frozen and thawed
- 30 grams natural peanut butter
- 50 grams dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 150 grams dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 170 Celsius degrees, and arrange baking paper on a baking tray.
In a large bowl, place chickpeas, peanut butter, sugar and salt, and grind in a food processor or a stick blender until smooth.
Add baking powder, baking soda and about 100 grams of chopped chocolate and mix with a spatula only until soft dough is obtained.
Using wet hands, create small balls of cookies and place in intervals on pan.
Sprinkle with some more chopped chocolate on the top of the cookies and flatten them slightly with your hands.
Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until golden and set on the sides, but still slightly soft in the center.
Cool completely and serve.
- Keep the cookies in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but it is recommended to serve them at room temperature.
- You can use dark chocolate, milk or white to your personal taste.
- You can also use chocolate chips of any kind. If desired, add chopped nuts to the dough.
- Instead of peanut butter, you can use tahini or almond butter. Flavors will vary accordingly.