This is the ultimate apple tart recipe. It’s made of a buttery crust filled with lots of caramelized apples, all topped with a beautiful garnish of an apple fan. Perfect as a dessert for Rosh Hashana feast.
French Apple Tart
24 cm round pie pan
For short crust pastry:
100 grams cold butter cut into cubes
150 grams all-purpose flour
30 grams almond meal
60 grams sugar powder
Pinch of salt
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 egg yolk
1-2 tbsp. water (if necessary)
For apple filling:
5 large Granny Smith apples
120 grams sugar
75 grams butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
50 grams light or dark raisins (optional)
For apple fan:
3 large Granny Smith apples
25 grams melted butter
3-4 tbsp. sugar
- Crust: in a food processor with a steel blade, put butter, flour, almond meal, sugar powder, salt and zest and blend until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg yolk and continue to blend until you receive large chunks of dough. If the dough is not united, gradually add a little water.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and for a disc-shape. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 3-4 mm thick and line the pan. It’s important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
- Using a fork create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- Blind baking: put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 3-4 minutes or until it is lightly golden.
- Cool slightly at room temperature.
- Apple filling: peel the apples and cut into medium cubes.
- In a large skillet put sugar and form caramel. When caramel is amber in color, add in the apple cubes, butter, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the apples in the caramel for 5-6 minutes, or until cubes soften slightly, but still solid.
- Add cornstarch and raisins and mix until dispersed evenly.
- Pour the apple filling onto half-baked crust.
- Slice the remaining apples into thin slices and arrange on top of the tart creating a fan-shape.
- Brush with melted butter ans sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden.
- Cool slightly at room temperature and serve.
- Keep the tart in a close container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Serve warm rather than cold from the fridge, preferably with ice cream or vanilla sauce.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.