Classic chocolate eclairs made of golden choux pastry filled with chocolate cream and dipped in shiny chocolate frosting. Delicious!
10-12 chocolate eclairs
For the eclairs:
160 ml. water
5 grams sugar
70 grams butter
3 grams fine salt
15 grams cornstarch
90 grams all-purpose flour
2-3 eggs, beaten
For chocolate Crémeux:
5 grams gelatin powder
25 ml. water
250 ml. heavy cream
250 ml. milk
30 grams sugar
3 large egg yolks
200 grams dark chocolate, chopped
For chocolate coating:
100 grams dark chocolate
125 ml. heavy cream
10 grams glucose or corn syrup
Chocolate cookie crumble
Dark Chocolate sheets
Make the eclairs:
- preheat oven to 180c degrees.
- In a medium saucepan put water, salt, sugar and butter and heat to a strong boil.
- Add cornstarch and flour and stir while cooking, until it turns into a lump of dough.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it cools down a little.
- Add the eggs gradually while beating until dough is elastic and smooth. Check the readiness of dough by creating a “trail” with a wooden spoon in the center of the dough – if the track remains stable, add some eggs, and if it closes a bit – the dough is ready. It is important not to add too many eggs to the dough or it may become too soft and ruined.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a serrated 2 cm piping tip. On a baking tray lined with baking paper pipe 8-10 cm long eclairs. It’s important to leave some space between the eclairs.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and set. Cool completely before filling.
- Make 2 small holes at the bottom of each eclair.
- In a small bowl put gelatin and water and leave to set at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- On a medium pot, put cream, milk, sugar and egg yolks and beat well.
- Cook the mixture over medium-high heat while constantly whisking until it reaches a boil.
- Remove from heat and add gelatin. Beat well until gelatin dissolves and mixture is smooth.
- Strain the mixture and add in chocolate. Beat until dissolved in a mixture.
- Using a stick blender, grind the mixture until very smooth. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until the cold and set.
- Transfer the cold cream into a bowl and whisk until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag fitted with 1 cm round piping tip and fill the eclairs. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl put cream, chocolate and glucose and solvents together in the microwave or over double boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the ganache to a flat plate and let it stand for 20-30 minutes to slightly cool.
- Dip the top of the eclairs in the chocolate coating.
- Decorate with chocolate cookie crumble and chocolate sheets and serve.
- Eclairs are at their best on the day of preparation, but you can keep them in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.