When I don’t have time to make cookies one by one, I make crumb bars. I truly love the idea of making something in one pan and after baking cut it into small squares. I call it lazy cookies, and even somewhat a kind of lazy pie. Always satisfying to eat, very easy to make. In the summer, when it’s just too damn hot to roll out cookies one by one, crumb bars are the perfect solution.
These chocolate crumb bars are great to make with kids and these sure make a great delicious snack next to your cup of coffee. A golden, buttery crispy dough at the bottom, fudgy rich chocolate filling that resembles chocolate pie filling, all topped with crunchy crumbs at the top. what’s not to like? 🙂
Chocolate Crumb Bars
- 20*20 cm square pan
For the dough and crumbs:
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 25 grams almond meal or desiccated coconut
- 100 grams cold butter cut into cubes
- 60 grams sugar powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
For the chocolate filling:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 60 ml. whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
Crust and crumbs:
- Preheat oven to 170 Celsius degrees and grease the pan.
- In a food processor with a steel blade, place flour, almond meal, butter, sugar powder, vanilla and salt and process until a thin crumbly mixture is obtained.
- Add the egg yolk and continue to blend only until large chunks of dough are formed.
- Transfer 2/3 of the crumbs to the bottom of the pan and press it tightly to a uniform layer.
- Keep the remaining 1/3 in the freezer until the crust is baked.
- Bake the crust for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Chop the chocolate and place in a bowl.
- Add cream and salt and melt together in the microwave or over double steam pot until everything melts and mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Mix well and add in the egg. Carefully whisk until incorporated.
- Pour the chocolate filling on top of the baked crust.
- Remove the crumbs from the freezer and crumble them over the chocolate filling.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the chocolate sets and the crumbs are golden.
- Cool completely at room temperature, cut into squares of the desired size and serve.
- Keep the bars in a sealed box in the fridge for up to a week. It is recommended to remove them from the fridge about 10 minutes before serving at room temperature.
- You can serve with a little sugar powder over if you want.
- You can freeze the bars for up to a month in an airtight container.