This cake is one of the most delicious chocolate cakes I’ve ever made. It’s super moist, gentle and chocolate-y, and contains no flour what makes it just perfect for people who avoid gluten or for Passover. It’s easy to make and simply delicious!
Chocolate, Almond and Olive Oil Cake
- Based on this recipe by Nigella Lawson, with my changes and adjustments.
For the cake:
3 large eggs at room temperature
200 grams (1 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
125 ml. (1/2 cup) refined olive oil
125 ml. (1/2 cup) water
150 grams (1.5 cups) almond meal
70 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
For the ganache:
100 grams dark chocolate
125 ml. (1/2 cup) heavy cream
Crushed caramelized hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and grease the pan well.
- In a bowl of mixer, whip eggs, sugar and salt at high speed until you get an airy, light foam.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the oil in a thin stream, stirring slowly until it is incorporated in the mixture.
- Add the water in a thin stream and continue to whisk until blended.
- Add almond meal, cocoa and baking soda and blend until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the cake is swelling, set at the edges and springy to the touch.
- Cool at room temperature. During cooling the cake sinks a little in the center and that’s fine.
- Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Add the cream and melt together in a microwave or over double-boiler, until everything is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the cake and let it drain into the sides as well.
- Cool the cake for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator until the ganache is completely set.
- Remove from the pan and decorate with hazelnuts.
- Serve the cake at room temperature.
- It is important to use eggs at room temperature.
- Instead of almond meal you can use any other type of ground nuts you like.
- It is important to use refined olive oil so that the taste will be gentle and not overpowering.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.