This olive oil chocolate cake is one of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever made. It’s super moist, gentle and chocolate-y, and contains no flour what makes it just perfect for people who avoid gluten or for Passover. It’s easy to make and simply delicious!
If you want to make a more special and unique chocolate cake – this is the one recipe you need to try! The olive oil makes this cake so soft and fragrant, and that almonds add nuttiness and richness to its texture. To top it all – the chocolate frosting makes this cake festive and great for birthdays as well.
- Based on this recipe by Nigella Lawson, with my changes and adjustments.
Almond and Olive Oil Chocolate Cake
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) refined olive oil
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) water
- 150 grams (1 1/2 cups) almond meal
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
For the ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- Crushed caramelized hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and grease the pan well.
In a bowl of mixer, whip eggs, sugar and salt at high speed until you get an airy, light foam.
Lower the speed of the mixer and add the oil in a thin stream, stirring slowly until it is incorporated in the mixture.
Add the water in a thin stream and continue to whisk until blended.
Add almond meal, cocoa and baking soda and blend until combined.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the cake is swelling, set at the edges and springy to the touch.
Cool at room temperature. During cooling the cake sinks a little in the center and that's fine.
Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
Add the cream and melt together in a microwave or over double-boiler, until everything is melted and the mixture is smooth.
10. Pour the ganache over the cake and let it drain into the sides as well.
11. Cool the cake for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator until the ganache is completely set.
12. Remove from the pan and decorate with hazelnuts.
13. Serve the cake at room temperature.
- It is important to use eggs at room temperature.
- Instead of almond meal you can use any other type of ground nuts you like.
- It is important to use refined olive oil so that the taste will be gentle and not overpowering.