If you have a few apples lying around the kitchen, which nobody really wants to eat them as they are – you simple have to try this apple crumble cake. It’s such an easy to make apple cake, quick, fragrant and so delicious. Serve it a little warm with some vanilla ice cream on the side – and it’s the perfect dessert!
Apple Crumble Cake
Servings 22 cm round cake pan
For the cake:
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) soft butter
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream
- 60 ml. (1/4 cup) milk
- 30 grams (3 tbsp.) whole oats
- 210 (1 1/2 cups) grams all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 5-6 granny smith apples peeled and diced
For the crumble:
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) cold butter cut into cubes
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) whole oats
- Icing sugar for decoration
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
In a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, put butter, sugar, maple, salt and vanilla and blend at high speed until the mixture is creamy.
Add eggs one at a time, while mixing between additions until blended.
Add sour cream, milk and oatmeal and mix until incorporated.
Add flour and baking powder and mix just until the mixture smooth and thick.
Add diced apples and stir until evenly dispersed in the batter.
Pour the mixture in the pan and level the top.
Crumble: in a medium a bowl put flour, butter, sugar and oatmeal and mix with your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the cake.
Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Serve the cake at room temperature.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- You can use pears instead of apples.
- You can use shredded coconut or chopped nuts instead of whole oats.