Shavuot is one of my favorite holidays, and the one thing I just can’t wait to make is quiche. This quiche is some-what healthier than classical versions of this french dish, and it’s made with low-fat ricotta cheese, whole wheat flour and lots of zucchini. If you like zucchinis you really should try it!
Zucchini and Ricotta Quiche
24 cm round quiche pan
For whole wheat short crust pastry:
75 grams all-purpose flour
75 grams whole wheat flour
100 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1-2 tbsp. water (if necessary)
6-7 medium zucchinis
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For royal sauce:
250 ml. half and half
250 grams ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- Short crust pastry: in a food processor with a steel blade put flour, whole wheat flour, butter and salt and blend until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg and continue to process just until large clumps of dough are formed. If the dough is not united – add 1-2 tablespoons water more gradually.
- Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and bring together. Make into a disc-shape, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 3-4 mm thick and line the pan. It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
- Using a fork create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- Blind baking: put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 4-5 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Zucchinis: preheat oven to 170c degrees
- Slice the zucchinis into thin slices and put in a bowl. Add olive oil and a little salt and pepper and mix well until coated.
- Place the zucchini on an oven pan lined with baking paper and bake for 10-15 minutes until zucchini softens slightly, but still stiff.
- Cool slightly.
- Royal sauce: in a small bowl stir half and half, ricotta, eggs, salt and flour until mixture is smooth.
- Assembly: Arrange the zucchini on the crust.
- Pour the Royal.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is set.
- Cool slightly and serve.
- It is recommended to warm slightly before serving.
- Keep the quiche in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.