These whole wheat rolls are perfect for dinner or a light snack sandwich. It’s easy to make, and even the kids will love kneading the dough and rolling it with their hands. Don’t miss these soft and delicious rolls everyone will love.
Whole Wheat Rolls with Walnuts
- 280 grams (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- 220 grams (1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- 12 grams (3 tsp.) active dry yeast
- 70 ml. (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 200-250 ml water add gradually
- 5 grams (1 tsp.) fine salt
- 75 grams (3/4 cup) chopped walnuts
- Beaten egg for brushing
- Sesame seeds for decoration
In a bowl of a mixer with a dough-hook knead whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, olive oil and honey for 2-3 minutes until dough begins to form. Gradually add the water and continue to knead for about 5-6 minutes until smooth and slightly sticky.
Add in salt and walnuts and knead another 2-3 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
Cover and allow rising until dough doubles in volume.
Once the dough has risen, knead it for another minute by hand (in order to let the air out), cover and let rise again until doubled in volume.
Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
Form each part of the dough into a ball shape and place on an oven pan lined with baking paper.
Cover and let rise until almost doubled in volume.
Preheat oven to 175c degrees.
Gently brush the rolls with beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake for 13-17 minutes, until golden and set.
Cool completely at room temperature.
- It's important to add the water gradually in order to get the right texture of the dough; it should be soft and slightly sticky, but not runny.
- Keep the rolls in sealed bag in the freezer for up to a month.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.