These vegan Hamantaschen recipe contains no eggs and no dairy, so it is suitable for vegans. It’s easy to make and the Hamantaschen are absolutely great! Rich and crispy cookie dough filled with chocolate and chestnuts, all topped with sugar powder.
Vegan Hamantaschen Cookies filled with Chocolate and Chestnuts
40 small hamantaschen cookies
For the dough:
100 grams coconut cream (at least 17% fat)
50 ml. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
40 grams sugar
200 grams all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the filling:
100 grams dark chocolate
25 grams coconut oil
40-50 grams chopped chestnuts
Sugar powder for serving
- Dough: in a bowl of a mixer with a paddle-attachment put coconut cream, oil, vanilla, salt, sugar, flour and baking powder and mix just until slightly sticky dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface, form a disc shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Filling: chop the chocolate and place in a bowl.
- Add in coconut oil and melt together in the microwave or over double-boiler until completely melted and smooth.
- Stir in the chopped chestnuts until blended.
- Cool for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough about 3 mm thick and cut out about 6 cm round circles.
- Place about 1/2 teaspoon of filling in each circle and form a shape of Hamantaschen.
- Place the cookies at intervals on an oven pan lined with baking paper.
- Cool in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- You can fill the cookies with any other filling you like.
- Keep in a sealed jar at room temperature for 5-6 days.