Quiche is always a great idea for dinner – it’s warm, buttery, comforting and makes a whole meal in just one slice. This one combines between mushrooms, walnuts and white wine and has the most addictive scent. Serve it with a small green salad – and it’s just perfect.
Mushroom Walnut Quiche
26 cm round pie pan
For short crust pastry:
150 grams all-purpose flour
100 grams cold butter cut into cubes
1 tsp. fine salt
2-3 tbsp. cold water
For mushroom filling:
800 grams champignon or portebello mushrooms
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
A little grated nutmeg
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 cup dry white wine
50 grams chopped walnuts
For royal sauce:
250 ml. sour cream
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
Ground black pepper
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Crust: In a food processor with a steel blade put flour, butter and salt and process until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add water gradually until the dough clumps.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured work surface and create a thin disc-shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough about 4 mm thick and line the pan, while ensuring a right angle between the bottom and the sides.
- Pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork and cool in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Mushroom filling: in a large skillet heat olive oil, add the mushrooms and cook until it loses its volume. Add salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg to taste.
- Cook for another 2 minutes and add in the white wine. Cook over high heat until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Strain the mushroom mixture and leave to cool for about 1/2 hour. Stir in the walnuts.
- Royal sauce: in a small bowl, whisk sour cream, eggs, salt, pepper and flour into a smooth mixture.
- Assemble the quiche: preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Pour the mushroom filling onto the frozen crust in an even layer. Carefully pour over the royal sauce.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Instead of walnuts you can use any other nut you like.
- Keep in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- It is recommended to warm the quiche slightly before serving.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.