These chocolate cakes are one of the best desserts you’ll ever make – its super fudgy, rich, chocolatey and delicious, and to top it all you drizzle a big mound of luscious hazelnut cream.
Individual Chocolate Cakes with Hazelnut Cream
12 individual cakes (in a muffin pan)
For chocolate and praline cake:
200 grams dark chocolate
125 grams butter
30 grams praline paste
Pinch of salt
150 grams sugar
3 large eggs
50 grams cornstarch
20 grams cocoa powder
30 grams ground hazelnuts
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For hazelnut cream:
250 ml. milk
2 egg yolks
40 grams sugar
20 grams cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla extract
125 grams butter
100 grams praline paste
100 grams melted dark chocolate
caramelized hazelnuts bits
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and grease the pan well.
- Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Add butter and solvent together in the microwave or over double-boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add praline paste, salt and sugar and beat well until blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring between additions.
- Add cornstarch, cocoa powder, ground hazelnuts and baking powder and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and filled up to about 2/3 of each hole.
- Bake the cakes for about 15-20 minutes or until set at the edges, but still slightly soft in the center.
- Cool completely and extracting from the mold.
- Hazelnut cream: in a medium pot heat milk to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Add about 1/3 amount of boiling milk over the egg yolk mixture while whisking until mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining milk mixture into a bowl and beat well.
- Return the mixture into the pot and cook while constant whisking on medium-high flame until you get a thick pastry cream.
- Cool the cream in the refrigerator until it is completely set.
- Transfer the cold cream into a bowl and beat well.
- In a mixer bowl whip the butter with a paddle-attachment until it softens slightly. Add praline paste and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Add the whipped cream into the butter and mix just until creamy smooth.
- Transfer the cream into a piping bag fitted with large round piping tip.
- Pipe high mounds of cream to the top of each cake.
- Decoration: melt the chocolate in the microwave or over double-boiler.
- Pour the chocolate onto a baking paper and spread to about of 2-3 mm thick.
- Sprinkle generously hazelnut bits and cool for 1-2 minutes in the refrigerator until the chocolate begins to set, but still slightly soft.
- Use a 4-5 cm cookie cutter and cut the chocolate into circles. Cool completely in the fridge for half an hour.
- Place a chocolate and hazelnut disc on top of the cream and serve.
- Cakes are at their best on the day or two after preparation.
- Praline paste can be bought in baking specialty stores for products and raw materials.
- Keep the cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- You can make the recipe in one 22 cm round cake. The baking time will be longer.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.