If you like apple pie, you’re definitely gonna love these mini pies! Caramelized apples and almond cream topped with crunchy streusel crumbs that melt in your mouth. Serve it with some vanilla ice cream and it’s just perfect!
Mini Almond Apple Pie
10 pies about 7 cm in diameter
For the apples:
4-6 Granny Smith apples
60 grams sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the crust:
150 grams all-purpose flour
60 grams sugar powder
Pinch of salt
90 grams cold butter cut into cubes
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 1/2 lemon
For almond cream:
60 grams almond meal
35 grams sugar
25 grams light brown sugar
60 grams cold butter cut into cubes
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. Amaretto liqueur
1 tsp. cornstarch
65 grams cold butter cut into cubes
65 grams sugar
65 grams all-purpose flour
35 grams whole oats
- Apples: peel the apples and cut into 2*2 cm cubes.
- In a wide saucepan cook sugar into caramel.
- Add apple cubes, lemon juice and vanilla, lower the heat and simmer for about 5-8 minutes, until apples soften slightly.
- Drain the apple cubes from the caramel and set aside to cool at room temperature.
- Crust: in a food processor with a steel blade, put butter, sugar, salt and flour and blend until crumbly.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla and lemon zest and continue to blend just until the large chunks of dough form.
- Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and form a disc-shape with your hands.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface about 3-4 mm thick and cut out circles about 8-9 cm in diameter. Line the tartelette molds. It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
- Using a fork, pierce the crust of each tartelette. Freeze the tartelette crusts for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Almond cream: in a food processor with a steel blade blend almonds, sugar, light brown sugar, butter and salt until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg yolk, amaretto and cornstarch and continue to blend until you get a thick cream.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag and set aside at room temperature.
- Streusel: in a food processor with a steel blade blend all ingredients until crumbly.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Drizzle almond cream in a thin layer in each crust.
- Place apple cubes over the cream and sprinkle streusel on top generously.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown and set.
- Cool slightly and serve.
- Keep the mini pies in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. It is highly recommended to heat before serving.
- Instead of apples you can use pears or apricots.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.