If you like broccoli and zucchini together – you’re going to love this following recipe. It’s a zycchini broccoli quiche with ricotta cheese, that is simply perfect for upcoming Shavuot, but for Springtime parties too.
It’s easy to make and made of salty crust, filled with broccoli and zucchini, and ricotta cheese royal sauce. Serve it with a small side green salad, and it’s simply a perfect meal!
Zucchini Broccoli Quiche with Ricotta
Servings 24 cm round springform quiche pan
For short crust pastry:
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) flour
- 120 grams (1 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt
- 2-3 tbsp. cold water
For the vegetables:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 400 grams broccoli separated
- 2 medium zucchini cut into cubes
- ¼ - ½ tsp. salt
- A little ground black pepper
- A little ground nutmeg
For ricotta royal sauce:
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) cooking cream
- 120 grams ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- A little salt
- A little ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Pumpkin seeds
Short crust pastry: in a food processor with a steel blade put flour, butter and salt and blend until mixture is crumbly.
Gradually add water and continue to process just until large clumps of dough are formed.
Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and bring together. Make into a disc-shape, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 3-4 mm thick and line the pan. It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
Using a fork create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
Blind baking: put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 4-5 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
Cool at room temperature.
Vegetables: in a large skillet heat olive oil.
Add onion and cook over medium-high heat until it becomes transparent.
Add broccoli and zucchini and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli and zucchini slightly soften.
Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Cool slightly at room temperature.
Royal: in a small bowl put cream, eggs, salt, pepper and flour and beat into a smooth mixture.
Assemble the quiche: spread the vegetables on the half-baked crust evenly. Sprinkle with some ricotta cheese on top and pour the royal sauce gently.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and set.
Cool slightly and serve at room temperature.
- The quiche is at its best on the day or two after the preparation. It is recommended to warm it a little before serving.
- The quiche can be kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Instead of cooking cream you can use heavy cream for richer filling.
- Instead of ricotta, you can use mozzarella or mascarpone in the same amount.