Muffins are the kind of dessert I love to make and know I have a few in my freezer. It’s easy to prepare, quick and always are a great dessert to make at short notice.
The following recipe is for super-fudgy whole wheat chocolate muffins that are so easy to make. I like to serve it a little warm so they are super soft and the chocolate melts in your mouth – a real pleasure!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins
1 large egg
100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
30 ml. (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
200 ml. plain natural yogurt
125 ml. (1/2 cup) water or milk
50 grams (1/2 unit) mashed banana
25 grams (2 tbsp.) cocoa powder
125 grams (1 cup) whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
50 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- In a large bowl whip eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until airy, fluffy and light mixture is formed.
- Gradually add in the oil and continue beating.
- Add yogurt, water and mashed banana and continue to blend until uniform.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix just until you get a smooth batter.
- Add about half the amount of chopped chocolate and fold in gently with a spatula to disperse in the mixture.
- Fill the muffin pan about 3/4 of its height.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate at the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes or until the muffins set and a skewer inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
- Keep the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to a week.
- You can use milk or white chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
- You can add additional nut (any kind you like) into the batter.
- The muffins can be frozen up to 2 weeks in a sealed bag.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.