Baking bread at home is simple and easy, and the result is always better than store-bought bread, you really don’t really know what’s in it.
This whole wheat bread is made with 100% whole wheat flour, and is perfect for sandwiches and light meals. It’s very easy to make and so tasty!
Whole Wheat Bread with Oats
For the whole wheat bread dough:
- 750 grams whole wheat flour
- 160 grams whole oats
- 13 grams active dry yeast
- 50 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 60 ml. vegetable oil
- 500-600 ml. water
- 18 grams fine salt
- Flour for dusting
- In a bowl of a mixer with a dough-hook put flour, oatmeal, yeast, brown sugar, egg, oil, 500 ml. of water and salt and knead at low-medium speed for 5-6 minutes. If the dough seems dry add a little more water gradually.
- Knead the dough for another 5-6 minutes until it is stable and slightly sticky.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly floured work surface and form a spherical shape.
- Place the ball of dough in a large floured bowl, cover and let rise for about 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Transfer the dough on a floured work surface and divide into 2 equal parts.
- Form each part into a loaf shape and place in a slightly greased pan.
- Cover the loaves and let rise for about 30-60 minutes or until they are puffed and fill the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 190c degrees.
- With a very sharp knife create several incisions at the top of each loaf and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Bake the loaves for 30-40 minutes or until they are brown and set.
- Cool the baked loaves on a rack until they reach room temperature.
- I used whole oats, but you can also use quick oats.
- If you want, you can add some nuts or seeds to the dough.
- It is important to add the water gradually to the dough.