I love baking breads at home – it’s very easy to make, and I know exactly what’s inside – no preservatives or anything that shouldn’t be in bread in the first place.
This recipe is for whole wheat and beetroot bread, and it’s so delicious and perfect for sandwiches. The bread has a beautiful pink color to it, and even kids will love it.
Whole Wheat Beetroot Bread
500 grams whole wheat flour
450 grams all-purpose flour
16 grams instant dry yeast
50 grams honey
70 ml. vegetable oil
200 grams grated pumpkin
18 grams fine salt
130 grams grated beetroot
450-500 ml. water (add gradually)
Some all-purpose flour for dusting
- In a bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook put whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, honey, oil, salt, grated beets and 450 ml. water and knead on low speed for 10-12 minutes until the dough is smooth. If the dough looks and feels too dry – add a little more water gradually during kneading.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead another 2-3 minutes manually. Form a round shape and place in a large bowl. Cover and let rise for about 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles its volume.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Form a loaf shape from each part of the dough and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover the loaves and let rise in a warm environment for about an hour or until they almost doubled their volume.
- Preheat the oven to 240c degrees. If you have a baking stone, place it in the lower third of the oven.
- With a long knife create large incision in the center of each loaf. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the loaves.
- Bake the loaves for about 10-12 minutes at high heat. Then lower the oven temperature to 190c degrees and continue to bake for another 25-30 minutes until completely set and golden brown.
- Cool completely on a rack at room temperature. Slice and serve.
- The bread is best served freshly baked, but you can freeze it in a zip lock bag (preferably sliced) for up to 2 weeks.
- If you want, you can use Spelt flour instead of whole wheat flour.