I love banana bread, especially for a quick and easy breakfast. It’s easy to make and simply delicious. This whole wheat banana bread recipe is a little healthier with added yogurt and whole wheat flour, making it tasty and perfect as a light snack.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Yogurt
Servings 2 25 cm loaf cake pans
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 120 ml. (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 200 ml. (1 cup) yogurt 3% fat
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) whole wheat flour
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
In a large bowl put brown sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and whisk well until blended.
Add bananas and continue to blend until incorporated.
Add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder and fold in using a spatula, just until you get a smooth batter.
Pour the mixture into the pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool at room temperature and serve.
- You can add chopped walnuts to the batter.
- Keep the banana bread in the fridge, wrapped well, up to 5 days. The cake can be frozen for up to three weeks.
- Nondairy version: use soy milk instead of yogurt.
- Serve the banana bread at room temperature rather than cold.