Sesame Street was my favorite kids-show when I was a little girl. I remember how I got back home from school and just couldn’t wait for the show to start! I especially loved Elmo and Cookie Monster, but really loved each and every thing in this program.
These cupcakes are inspired by a lot of designs I saw on the web. It’s super fudgy chocolate cupcakes I decorated with buttercream in different colors, and got these Elmo and Oscar cupcakes, that kids REALLY love!
Sesame Street Cupcakes
Inspired by these cupcakes of I am Baker.
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 180 ml. (3/4 cup) milk
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 50 grams (5 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 60 grams dark chocolate chips
For the buttercream:
- 200 grams (1 cup) soft butter
- 350 grams sugar powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
Food colors according to desired character:
- Elmo - red white, orange
- Oscar - green brown, red, white
Make the cupcakes: preheat oven to 170c degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcakes paper molds.
In a large bowl, whisk oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt into a smooth mixture.
Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and chocolate chips and stir just until the batter is smooth.
Transfer the batter into the pan and fills about 2/3 of height of each mold.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cupcakes swell, set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature before decoration.
Buttercream: in a bowl of a mixer with a whipping-attachment put butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and cream and blend at medium-high until creamy and very stable.
Divide the cream into bowls and add desired colors to each bowl for the desired color. Stir the cream until evenly painted. Leave a little white cream for the eyes.
Prepare the cupcake: in the center top form a mouth by cutting with a paring knife (see video).
Transfer the red or green into a piping bag fitted with a grass piping tip and drizzle freely around the mouth.
Put the white cream in a small pastry bag without a piping tip and pipe small eyes.
In the center of each eye put a mini chocolate chip to create pupils.
For Elmo cupcakes: drizzle orange cream in the shape of a big nose.
For Oscar cupcakes: drizzle red tongue inside the mouth and brown cream of eyebrows above the eyes.
- Keep the cupcakes in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.
- It is recommended to take them out 15-20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- It is important to use gel food or powdered food coloring.
- It is recommended to watch the video to understand clearly how exactly to pipe the creams.