If you like grapefruit – you should really try this red grapefruit cake! It’s a red grapefruit cake with added almonds that’s so easy to make, soft, melts in your mouth, and has the perfect scent while baking. DELICIOUS!
Red Grapefruit Cake
- Based on a recipe from Fast Baking by Erez Komarovsky, with some adjustments.
30 cm long loaf cake pan
For the cake:
75 grams soft butter
150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 1 red grapefruit
2 large eggs
30 ml. (2 tsp.) red grapefruit juice
100 ml. sour cream
75 grams almond meal
2 tbsp. cornstarch
140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the syrup:
125 ml. (1/2 cup) red grapefruit juice
50 grams (1/4 cup) sugar
For the glaze:
4-5 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. grapefruit juice
Candied grapefruit peel
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment put butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and grapefruit zest and mix on high speed until the mixture is creamy and soft.
- Clean the sides of the bowl using a spatula and add the eggs one at a time, while mixing between additions.
- Add grapefruit juice, sour cream, ground almonds and cornstarch and mix until blended.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Grapefruit syrup: in a small saucepan put grapefruit juice and sugar and cook until boiling. It is important to make sure all the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and let it be absorbed.
- Cool the cake completely before frosting.
- Glaze: In a small bowl mix powdered sugar and grapefruit juice until the mixture is thick. If the texture is too thick – add a little water if the texture is too thin – add a little more powdered sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and garnish with candied grapefruit peel.
- Keep the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Cake is best served at room temperature.
- Glazing is optional and can be omitted.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.