Especially for Hanukka, here’s a quick and easy recipe for orange and cream sufganiyot (donuts), that are so delicious and great to make with kids.
Quick Orange and Cream Sufganiyot (donuts)
For the dough:
1 large egg
25 grams (2 tbsp.) sugar
200 ml. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of 1/2 orange
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp. rum
180 grams all-purpose flour
1 tsp, baking powder
1 liter vegetable oil for frying
For orange syrup:
125 ml (1/2 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
zest of 1/2 orange
125 ml. (1/2 cup) water
100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
1 tbsp. orange liqueur or rum
Icing sugar for decoration
- Make the dough: in a large bowl, put eggs, sugar, sour cream, vanilla, orange zest, salt and rum and mix until smooth.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and stir just until incorporated.
- Heat oil in a wide pan until it reaches a temperature of 170c degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer indication that the oil is hot enough is sticking a wooden spoon in the pot and seeing tiny bubbles around it.
- Using an ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons create medium mounds of dough and fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Transfer the donuts to a plate lined with paper towels to get rid of excess oil.
- Orange syrup: in a small pot put orange juice, orange zest, water and sugar and heat until boiling. Reduce the heat and cook for another 1-2 minutes after boiling, until the sugar has dissolved and syrup is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the liqueur.
- Dip the donuts in the syrup. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Donuts are best on the day you make them, hot and fresh.
- Instead of orange you can use any kind of citrus fruit you like.
- Serve the donuts with jam and/or cream.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.