There’s something about poppy seeds that divides the world to two – either you like it so much or you just can’t stand it.
This poppy seeds cake is for those of you who LOVE poppy seeds. It’s so easy to make and has poppy seeds and chocolate inside. It’s fluffy, moist and melts-in-your-mouth.
Chocolate Chip Poppy Seeds Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cups) sugar
- 200 grams (1 cup) coconut milk 10% fat
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (1 1/2 cups) freshly ground poppy seeds
- 175 grams (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate finely chopped
- Icing sugar for serving
Preheat oven to 175c degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and salt into a smooth mixture.
Add in poppy seeds, flour and baking powder and stir just until incorporated.
Add chopped chocolate and stir until blended.
Divide the batter in the pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely and serve with some icing sugar on top.
- Keep the poppy seeds cake in a sealed container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- In the summer it is recommended to keep in the refrigerator.
- It is important to use only fresh ground poppy seeds.
- Instead (or in addition) of dark chocolate you can add chopped nuts or dried fruits.
- Instead of coconut milk you can use soy milk or even water.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.