Cookies are one of my favorite things to make. Easy, delicious and most of all almost instant gratification; Cookies can be made in a few minutes. With a very short baking time in most cases, they are absolutely one of the quickest treats to make.
The combination of chocolate and pistachio is definitely a hit around my kitchen. The following cookies combine chocolate and pistachio and beyond the fact that they are very tasty – they are beautiful thanks to that color combination contrasts. The bright green of the pistachio stands out so pretty against the dark chocolate background. They are buttery, melt-in-your-mouth, chocolatey to the point and dotted with crispy pistachios that add a crunch in every single bite.
The nicest thing about cookies of this type is the roll-shaped preparation that can be stored for a long time in the freezer. Prepare the dough, form rolls, cool, cut into cookies and bake. The rolls themselves (before baking of course) can be kept well in the freezer for even two months. I like to make a large quantity and just keep some in the freezer.
Looking for more sweets with pistachio? Try these: Pistachio Raspberry Muffins | Pistachio Cake with Mascarpone Cream and Strawberries | Tahini Cookies with Pistachios | Pistachio Financiers
Pistachio and Chocolate Cookies
For the dough:
- 150 grams soft butter see notes for dairy free/ vegan version
- 150 grams 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- 175 grams 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour (see notes for gluten-free version)
- 30 grams 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 150 grams peeled natural pistachios not chopped
- 100 grams coarsely chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cold water as needed
In a mixer with a paddle attachment place butter, sugar and salt and mix on high speed until a creamy mixture is obtained.
Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add flour, cocoa, pistachios and chopped chocolate. Mix on low speed until large lumps of dough form. If dough crumbs remain and don’t come together nicely - add a little milk or water.
Remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface and form 2 tight rolls.
Freeze for 30-60 minutes to set.
Remove from the freezer and place on a cutting board. Cut into cookies about 1 cm thick (it is recommended to work with a long chef's knife and cut with a single knife snap, no sawing movements).
Place the cookies on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
Preheat oven to 170 Celsius degrees.
Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes or until they set at the edges but still slightly soft in the center.
Cool completely to room temperature and serve.
- The cookies are kept in an airtight jar for up to 10 days.
- The rolls can be frozen for up to two months, tightly wrapped.
- Instead of pistachios you can use any other nut you like.
- Gluten-free version: Use gluten free flour mix in the same amount instead of all-purpose flour.
- Dairy free/ vegan version: Use vegan butter or margarine in the same amount as the butter instead. Another option is using 120 grams of coconut oil with a soft texture instead of butter.
- The recipe can also be prepared with spelt flour in the same amount instead of regular flour.