Brownies is the one dessert I make when I don’t have much time. You only need a few minutes, a bowl and a whisk, and in less than an hour you can have a great chocolate dessert everyone loves.
These whole wheat brownies have sea salt in the batter and lots of pecan on top. It’s quick, easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Pecan and Sea Salt Whole Wheat Brownies
Servings 20 cm square pan
For the brownie:
- 200 grams dark chocolate 60%
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) butter
- 1/4 tsp. ground sea salt
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 80-100 grams coarsely chopped pecans
- Some sea salt
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
Chop the chocolate and place in a bowl. Add butter and melt together in the microwave or over double boiler until melted and mixture is smooth.
Add salt and sugar and beat well until blended.
Add the eggs one at a time, stirring between additions.
Add flour, ground pecans and baking powder and mix just until incorporated. It is important to avoid over-processing that could harm the fudgy texture of the brownies after baking.
Pour the mixture into the pan, and smooth the top.
Sprinkle pecans evenly and a little sea salt.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until set in the edges but slightly soft in the center.
Cool completely at room temperature and cut to squares.
- Keep the brownies in a sealed box at room temperature up to 5-6 days.
- You can freeze the brownies in an airtight container up to one month.
- Instead of pecans you can use any other type of nut you like.
- Instead of whole wheat flour you can use all-purpose flour the same amount.
- Brownies are at their best at room temperature or slightly warm.