Even though we do not fast on Yom Kippur, when the fast is over we make coffee and eat a nice pound cake (this year it’s going to be pear cake!) with a delicious aroma to it.
This pear cake with hazelnut streusel on top is simply perfect for the season. Pear cakes always make me think of Autumn, as pears are my top favorite Autumn fruit. This cake is not only soft and fragrant, but also has the most delicious hazelnut streusel topping and is perfect to have with a cup of coffee or tea.
Looking for more great pound cakes? Here’s a nice collection >>
Pear Cake with Hazelnut Streusel
For the hazelnut streusel:
- 100 grams (1 cup) of natural hazelnuts
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) of light brown sugar
For the cake:
- 4 ripe pears
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 50 grams (3 tbsp.) date syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream or yogurt
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 140 grams (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) oatmeal
In a food processor with a steel blade, put nuts, flour, coconut oil, salt and sugar, and blend into a crumbly mixture.
Keep the crumbs in the refrigerator until the cake batter is ready.
Preheat the oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
Peel the pears and cut into 2 parts. Using a teaspoon – remove the seeds. Cut into small cubes.
In the bowl, whisk sugar, date syrup, eggs, sour cream, oil, salt and vanilla until uniform.
Add flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and oatmeal and mix until uniform.
Add the pear cubes and mix gently into the batter.
Pour the batter into the baking pan and straighten the top.
Sprinkle the streusel on the top of the cake in a uniform thin layer.
Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes or until it is swollen, golden and a skewer inserted in its center comes out with crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature and serve.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the fridge for up to a week.
- It is recommended to serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
- You can use apples or peaches instead of pears.