One of my favorite flavors combination is the oh-so-common peanut butter and jelly. I believe that if I lived in the US as a child my favorite snack would have probably been peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I love how the slight saltiness of the peanut butter combines with the sweetness of the jelly, and together it’s simply divine.
Recently I’ve made many kinds of krembo cookies. I started with the traditional vanilla and chocolate krembo cookies, then I made raspberry and mascarpone krembo cookies, and now – peanut butter krembo cookies with a jelly surprise in the center, that reveals only after the first bite.
Krembo is such a great snack that I really don’t know anyone who doesn’t like it. The combination of a crunchy cookie base topped with luscious cream and chocolate coating is just amazing. if you like peanut butter and jelly – you’re gonna love these peanut butter krembo cookies!
Peanut Butter Krembo Cookies with Jelly Surprise
For the cookie base:
- 50 grams (3 tbsp.) cold butter cut into cubes
- 20 grams (2 tbsp.) sugar powder
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp. milk
For the peanut butter cream:
- 225 grams (1 pack) mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) sugar powder
- 80 grams (2 heaping tablespoons) smooth peanut butter
- 250 ml. (1 cup) cold whipping cream
For the jelly surprise:
- 100-150 grams (4-5 heaping tablespoons) raspberry or strawberry jam
- 250 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Roasted peanuts coarsely chopped
Make the cookies: preheat oven to 170c degrees.
In a food processor with steel blade put butter, sugar powder, flour, cornstarch, vanilla and salt and blend until small crumbles form.
Add the milk gradually and continue to process just until large clumps of dough are formed.
Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface, combine with your hands and make a round disc shape.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 cm thick and cut out 5-6 cm circles.
Arrange the cookies on an oven pan lined with baking paper.
Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
Peanut butter cream: in a mixer bowl with a whipping attachment place mascarpone, powdered sugar and peanut butter, and whip at medium speed until the mascarpone softens slightly.
Increase to high speed and add the heavy cream in a thin stream until you get a uniform and stable cream.
Transfer the cream into a piping bag with a round 2 cm piping tip and drizzle a generous mound on top of each cookie.
Transfer the jam into a small piping bag and make a small hole. Place the piping bag slightly inside the peanut butter cream and gently drizzle in some jelly.
Cool the krembo cookies in the freezer for about an hour.
Dark chocolate coating: melt the chocolate and place in a tall glass.
Add oil and mix.
Dip the Krembo in the chocolate, shake off excess chocolate and place on a pan to set. It is also possible to pour the chocolate coating on top of the krembos.
Decorate with roasted peanuts and cool for about 10 minutes in the freezer to set.
- Keep the krembo cookies in a closed container for up to a week.
- You can use smooth peanut butter or chunky peanut butter, but the texture will change accordingly.
- You can use milk or white chocolate for the coating instead of the dark chocolate in the same amount.
- You can freeze the Krembo cookies in a sealed container for up to one month.
- You can use any flavor of jelly you like.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.