Cream puffs are such a great and easy-to-make dessert. It’s airy, golden and crunchy on the outside, and there’s plenty of room for lots of cream inside.
These cream puffs are filled with peanut butter cream and served with warm chocolate sauce and candied peanuts. It’s such a great dessert!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cream Puffs
16 large cream puffs
For the cream puffs:
250 ml. milk
Pinch of salt
5 grams sugar
100 grams butter
150 grams flour
3-4 large eggs, beaten
For peanut butter cream:
500 ml. heavy cream
60 grams smooth peanut butter
40 grams icing sugar
1 tsp. custard powder or pudding powder
For chocolate sauce:
100 grams dark chocolate
125 ml. heavy cream
Peanut butter chips
- Cream puffs: preheat oven to 180c degrees.
- In a medium saucepan put milk, salt, sugar and butter and heat to a strong boil.
- Add flour and stir while cooking, until it turns into a lump of dough.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it cools down a little.
- Add the eggs gradually while beating until dough is elastic and smooth. Check the readiness of dough by creating a “trail” with a wooden spoon in the center of the dough – if the track remains stable, add some eggs, and if it closes a bit – the dough is ready. It is important not to add too many eggs to the dough or it may become too soft and ruined.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a round 2 cm piping tip. On a baking tray lined with baking paper pipe large cream puffs (about 5-6 cm in diameter). It’s important to leave some space between the cream puffs.
- Remove the crumble layer from the freezer and cut out about 6-7 cm circles. Place a round piece of crumble over each cream puff and flatten a bit.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the cream puffs are golden and set. Cool completely before filling.
- Make a small hole at the bottom of each cream puff.
- Peanut butter cream: in a mixer bowl put cream, peanut butter, powdered sugar and stabilizer and whip until stable cream is formed.
- Transfer the cream into a piping bad fitted with 1 cm round piping tip and fill the cream puffs.
- Chocolate sauce: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Add cream and solvents together in the microwave or over double boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Before serving, pour a little sauce on the cream puffs and top with candied peanuts and peanut butter chips.
- Cream puffs are at their best on the day of preparation.
- Keep the creampuffs in a closed container in the refrigerator (without chocolate sauce) for up to 3 days.
- Add the chocolate sauce before serving. Warm it gently.
- You can use smooth or crunchy peanut butter, according to personal taste.