I love making peach pie in the summer. The peaches are so juicy and fragrant; they just fit perfectly in cakes and desserts. This peach pie combines fresh, juicy peaches with frangipane cream and is simply delicious.
Peach Pie with Almond Cream
Servings 24 cm round tart pan
For short crust pastry:
- 100 grams (1 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 50 grams (5 tbsp.) powdered sugar
- 25 grams (2 heaping tablespoons) cornstarch
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) almond meal
- 2 medium egg yolks
For cream patissiere:
- 150 ml. (2/3 cup) milk
- 10 grams (1 tbsp.) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla paste
- 25 grams (2 tbsp.) sugar
- 30 grams (1 1/2 units) egg yolks
- 5 grams (1 tsp.) all-purpose flour
- 15 grams (3 tsp.) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. Amaretto liqueur or rum
For almond cream:
- 60 grams (2/3 cup) ground blanched almonds
- 35 grams (3 tbsp.) sugar
- 25 grams (2 tbsp.) light brown sugar
- 60 grams (1/2 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. amaretto liqueur or rum
- 4-5 ripe large peaches cut into thin slices
In a food processor with a steel blade, put butter, flour, cornstarch, powdered sugar and ground almonds and blend until crumbly.
Add egg yolks and continue to process just until large chunks of dough form.
Transfer the dough chunks of a lightly floured work surface and combine with your hands, create a disc shape, wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 3-4 mm thick and line the pan It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
Using a fork create holes in the crust. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
Put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 3-4 minutes or until it is lightly golden.
Cool slightly at room temperature.
In a medium pot put milk, 10 grams of sugar and vanilla and heat to a boil.
In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks, 25 grams of sugar, flour, cornstarch and rum until blended.
Pour about 1/3 of the hot milk into the yolk mixture, while whisking vigorously to compare temperatures.
Add the yolk mixture back into the pot and cook over medium-low heat, while constantly whisking, until a very thick and boiling cream is made.
Transfer the cream into a wide container, cover the surface of the cream with plastic wrap (to avoid formation of crust) and refrigerate until chilled.
In a food processor with a steel blade put almonds, sugar, brown sugar, butter and flour and process until mixture is crumbly.
Add egg yolk and amaretto and continue to blend until thick cream is formed.
Combine the creams: transfer the crème patissiere into a large bowl and beat it with a whisk until it returns to its original texture.
Add in the almond cream and stir until mixture is smooth.
Pour the cream over half-baked crust and arrange peach slices in a fan.
Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the peaches and bake at 160c degrees for about 25-35 minutes or until golden and set.
Cool slightly and serve at room temperature.
- Keep the peach pie in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
- Serve the pie warm or at room temperature rather than cold from the refrigerator.
- You can use plums or nectarines instead of peaches.