The following eclairs are filled with passionfruit cream and topped with Italian meringue. They are super fancy and will make everyone say “WOW” as soon as you serve them to the table.
If you like passionfruit, you should really try this recipe and enjoy a refreshing and decadent dessert that is perfect for hot summer days.
Passionfruit and Meringue Eclairs
For the eclairs:
160 ml. water
5 grams sugar
70 grams butter
3 grams fine salt
15 grams cornstarch
90 grams all-purpose flour
3-4 eggs, beaten
For passion fruit cream filling:
5 grams gelatin powder
25 ml. water
4 large eggs
120 grams sugar
170 grams passion fruit puree
150 grams soft butter
100 grams natural nappage
Red food coloring
Yellow food coloring
For Italian meringue:
2 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
100 grams sugar
25 ml. water
1 tbsp. corn syrup
1 passion fruit
Strips of lime peel
- Make the eclairs: preheat oven to 250c degrees and turn it just before baking.
- In a medium saucepan put water, salt, sugar and butter and heat to a strong boil.
- Add cornstarch and flour and stir while cooking, until it turns into a lump of dough.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it cools down a little.
- Add the eggs gradually while beating until dough is elastic and smooth. Check the readiness of dough by creating a “trail” with a wooden spoon in the center of the dough – if the track remains stable, add some eggs, and if it closes a bit – the dough is ready. It is important not to add too many eggs to the dough or it may become too soft and ruined.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a serrated 2 cm piping tip. On a baking tray lined with baking paper pipe 8-10 cm long eclairs. It’s important to leave some space between the eclairs.
- Bake the eclairs in the shut-down oven for about 18-20 minutes. It is important not to open the oven door during this time.
- Turn the oven to 170c degrees (while eclairs are still in) and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of baking, leave the oven door open slot (put a wooden spoon in oven door). Cool completely at room temperature.
- Make 2 small holes at the bottom of each eclair.
- Passion Fruit Cream: in a small bowl mix gelatin and water and set aside for 15 minutes at room temperature, until the gelatin absorbs all the liquid.
- In a medium saucepan mix eggs, sugar, salt and passionfruit puree.
- Place the pot over medium heat and cook while whisking constantly until you get a thick cream.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatin. Beat the mixture until it melts.
- Strain the cream and add butter. Whisk until dissolved and smooth.
- Transfer the cream into a closed container and refrigerate for 2 hours or until it is completely cold and set.
- Transfer the cream into a piping bag fitted with 1/2 cm round piping tip, and fill the eclairs.
- Keep the eclairs in the refrigerator. Keep the leftover cream in the piping bag in the refrigerator.
- Glazing: put the nappage in a relatively flat plate (one that will be comfortable to dip the eclairs in) and heat slightly in the microwave until it becomes fluid.
- Add food coloring to taste, until you get a bright orange color.
- Dip the top of the éclair and shake off excess coating.
- Refrigerate until preparation of the meringue.
- Italian meringue: put egg white and salt in the bowl of a mixer with a whipping-attachment.
- In a small saucepan put sugar, water and corn syrup and heat over high heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook the syrup until it reaches 117c degrees and remove from heat.
- As soon as the syrup reaches 107c degrees begin to whip the egg whites on medium speed.
- When the syrup is 117c degrees, increase the mixer speed and add it into the egg whites in a thin stream while whipping.
- Continue to whip until stable, glossy meringue is formed (this should take about 7-10 minutes of whipping).
- Transfer the meringue into a piping bag with jagged 1 cm piping tip.
- Pipe small mounds of meringue onto the eclairs.
- Among the mounds of meringue, drizzle the remaining passion fruit cream.
- Decorate with some passionfruit and lime peel strips.
- Keep the eclairs in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, but they are at their best on the day or two after preparation.
- You can use lemon or lime instead of passionfruit.
- It’s important to pipe the meringue as soon as it’s ready.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.