When I visited Amsterdam a few years ago, I got to taste the Van Stapele cookies – probably the most famous cookies in the Netherlands. Obviouslt, and the smell of the hot fresh cookies that filled the street, alongside being overseas, greatly added to the experience.
Despite all of the above, I was not convinced by the title “tastiest cookies in the world” that everyone told me. I just think that no matter what – any fresh warm cookie (and they are indeed very fresh and come out of the oven straight away) will be very tasty. Freshness is the key here.
Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies and even butter cookies – all of these are the most delicious as soon as they come out of the oven; perhaps after a short cooling. As long as they are not in a jar and are eaten straight from the baking paper – and that’s where the magic lies if you ask me – they are the most delicious. In my opinion, this is the secret that made the Dutch Van Stapele cookies so popular.
I have received hundreds of requests to publish a copycat recipe for these Amsterdam cookies on the blog over the years. So, the recipe is finally here – after many tests and tastes. These copycat cookies are filled with chocolate fudge covered Oreos, and are so chocolatey and delicious.
They are insanely chocolatey; I like to add chocolate to the cookie dough itself as well, so there are few different elements of melted chocolate. The coated cookie is revealed in the first bite and not only adds the melting chocolate element, but also a fun crispiness of the Oreo cookie itself. After all, these are dessert cookies that are best suited for friends gathering or small parties.
Looking for more cookie recipe? Try these: Vegan tahini chocolate chip cookies | Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies with Almonds | Hazelnut Cookies with Coffee and Chocolate | Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Oreo filled Chocolate Cookies
For the chocolate cookie dough:
- 100 grams butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 175 grams (1 ¼ cups) of flour
- 30 grams (3 tablespoons) cocoa powder
- ½ (a teaspoon) of baking soda
- 100 grams of chocolate chips
For the filling:
- 8 Oreo cookies coated in white or milk chocolate fudge
- 50 grams of chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 190 Celsius degrees and line an oven pan with baking paper.
In a mixer with a paddle attachment place butter, sugar, light brown sugar and salt and mix on high speed until a uniform creamy mixture is obtained.
Crack in the egg and mix until it is absorbed into the mixture.
Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and chocolate chips and mix slowly until a dough is obtained.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and combine by hand.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
Open each part on the palm of your hand and place a chocolate covered Oreo cookie. Close and place on a baking sheet.
Slightly flatten the top and sprinkle some chocolate chips.
Bake for 7-8 minutes or until cookies are slightly flattened and set at the edges, but still very soft in the center.
Cool slightly to room temperature and serve.
- The cookies are kept in a closed container for up to 4 days. It is highly recommended to heat them in the microwave or oven for a few seconds before serving, so they are at their best.
- The cookies are of course the most delicious when they are fresh and hot!
- If desired, you can omit the chocolate chips to decorate the top of the cookies.
- You can use any type of Oreo cookies you like. The taste and appearance of course will change accordingly.