I love gingerbread desserts, and now is just the right season for gingerbread cookies. These gingerbread cookies are fragrant with orange zest, and spread the most beautiful smell all around the kitchen while baking.
They are so easy to make, and these cookies are the perfect treat next to a cup of coffee or eggnog. These orange gingerbread cookies will be perfect for Christmas and are great to make with kids as well.
Orange Gingerbread Cookies
65 medium cookies
200 grams (1 cup) sugar
100 grams (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
1 large egg
80 grams (1/4 cup) honey
Whole orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
6 grams (1 1/2 tsp.) ground ginger
6 grams ground (1 1/2 tsp.) cinnamon
4 grams ground(3/4 tsp.) cardamom
280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
6 grams (1 1/2 tsp.) baking powder
Sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and line oven trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, oil and egg until mixture is smooth.
- Add honey, orange zest, vanilla, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom and beat into a smooth mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda and fold with a spatula until the dough is uniform and slightly sticky.
- With slightly wet hands roll cookies and coat them in sugar.
- Arrange the cookies on the baking pan and bake for about 10 minutes until they flatten, crack slightly at the top and set on the edges, but still slightly soft in the center.
- Cool completely and store in a sealed jar.
- Keep the cookies in a sealed jar for up to a week.
- You can use molasses or maple instead of honey.
- Vegan version: convert the egg with 50 grams of unsweetened applesauce and honey with maple.
- You can add or omit spices according to personal taste.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.