Orange cake is my first choice as dessert on cold winter days. I love its aroma and it’s the perfect comfort cake.
This ricotta cake takes orange cakes to a higher level with added ricotta cheese. The cheese makes the cake even more soft and melts-in-your-mouth, and the orange tartness-sweetness combines perfectly with the creaminess of the ricotta.
Orange Ricotta Cake
22 cm round cake pan
150 grams butter, at room temperature
200 grams (1 cup) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Zest of 2 oranges
4 large egg yolks
250 grams ricotta cheese
100 ml. sour cream
120 ml. (1/2 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
200 grams (2 cups) quick oats
100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
Sugar powder for serving
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and lightly grease the pan.
- In a bowl of an electric with a paddle attachment place butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and orange zest and mix at high speed until the mixture is creamy and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, while mixing between additions.
- Add ricotta and sour cream and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl mix oats, flour and baking powder.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the mixture while mixing, than add orange juice, and finish with the remaining dry ingredients mix. It’s important not to mix the batter too much, just until incorporated.
- In a separate clean bowl whip the egg whites at high speed until you get an airy, creamy and soft meringue.
- Add about 1/3 amount of the meringue into the batter and stir in gently.
- Fold in the remaining meringue until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Instead of oatmeal you can use finely ground almonds, but the texture of the cake will be a little different.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days,
- It is recommended to serve the cake at room temperature.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.