Honey and nuts are one of the best combinations in desserts, and this caramel tart is a great example for how this simple combination works just perfectly.
On a golden and buttery crust lays lots of different kinds of nuts (pecans, hazelnuts, cashews and walnuts), all topped with honey caramel layer that combines it all in one glorious and delicious nutty caramel tart.
Nutty Caramel Tart
For short crust pastry:
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 100 grams cold butter (cut into cubes)
- 40 grams icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tbsp. cold water (as needed)
For honey, nut and caramel filling:
- 300 grams of various kinds of nuts (or just walnuts)
- 40 grams glucose or corn syrup
- 185 grams sugar
- 100 ml. heavy cream
- 3 grams fine sea salt
- 25 grams honey
- 125 grams soft butter
- Crust: in a food processor with a steel blade put flour, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and process until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg yolk and continue to process just until large clumps of dough form. If the dough is not setting, gradually add a little water.
- Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface and form a disc-shape with your hands.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface about 3-4 mm thick and line the pie pan. It is important to create a right angle between the sides and the base of the crust, which will ensure the edges remain high when baking.
- Pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork. Freeze the crust for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- Blind baking: put a sheet of heat-resistant plastic wrap or baking paper on the frozen crust and fill with dry beans or special weights for baking.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the weights and the plastic wrap and continue to bake the crust for about 10-15 minutes or until it is completely golden brown.
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- Honey, nuts and caramel filling: place the nuts on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for about 10 minutes in the oven until golden and toasted perfectly.
- Cool slightly at room temperature and sprinkle on the baked crust evenly.
- In a large skillet put glucose and sugar and heat over high heat, stirring constantly, until a golden caramel forms.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cream, salt and honey to a simmer.
- When caramel is ready, cautiously and gradually add the cream mixture while stirring until smooth.
- Continue to cook the caramel over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 122-124c degrees.
- Add in the butter and mix well until it is absorbed in the mixture.
- Remove from heat and pour the hot caramel mixture over the crust with nuts.
- Allow setting completely at room temperature for 2-3 hours and serve.
- The caramel tart is at its best on the day of preparation, but you can keep it in a closed container in the refrigerator up to a week.
- You can use any type of nuts you like. I used pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios and walnuts.
- You can use date syrup or maple instead of honey. Flavors will vary accordingly.