If you like nectarines, you simply have to try this nectarine cake. It’s a soft, easy-to-make nectarine cake with pistachio streusel on top. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it’s the perfect summer dessert!
Nectarine Cake with Pistachio Streusel
Servings 2 25 cm long loaf cake pans
For the nectarines:
- 4 large nectarines
- 2 heaping tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
For pistachio crumble:
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) sugar
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) cold butter cut into cubes
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) shelled pistachios
For the cake:
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 200 grams (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream
- 400 grams (3 cups minus 2 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tbsp.) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 160c degrees.
Cut the nectarine into 2*2 cm cubes and put in a bowl.
Add brown sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and flour and mix well until nectarines are coated with a thin layer of sugar and juice. Set aside until cake batter is ready.
Pistachio crumble: in a food processor with a steel blade, put sugar, flour, butter and pistachios, and blend until the mixture is crumbly.
Cake: in a large bowl put sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil and sour cream and beat until the mixture is smooth.
Sift in flour and baking powder, and add salt and cinnamon.
Fold in the dry ingredients just until mixture is smooth.
Add nectarine mixture (including the liquid) into the batter and fold just until blended.
Transfer the cake mixture into the pans, and smooth the top.
Sprinkle the top of the cakes with pistachio crumble.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until golden and set.
Cool completely before serving.
- You can use peaches, apricots or any other summer fruit instead of nectarines.
- You can use any other nut you like instead of pistachios.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature.