I’ve never been to Mexico, and it’s one of my biggest travel-dreams. I’m sure I’ll fall in love with Mexico, the vibe in the streets and of course the colorful food.
This Mexican chocolate cake is for chili lovers, that aren’t afraid of some spice in their chocolate. It’s quick, easy to make and so delicious!
Mexican Chocolate Cake
Servings 2 25 cm long loaf cake pans
For the cakes:
- 2 large eggs
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 45 grams (2 tbsp.) honey
- 150 ml. (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) espresso
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream
- 75 ml. (1/3 cup) milk
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 140 grams (1 cup) whole-wheat flour
- 140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips
For shiny chocolate glaze:
- 125 grams dark chocolate 60% cocoa solids
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Cocoa nibs
Preheat oven to 175c degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, honey, oil, espresso, sour cream, milk, cinnamon, chili powder, salt and vanilla until blended.
Sift in flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa and baking powder and beat just until mixture is smooth.
Add chocolate chips and fold just until assimilated into the mixture.
Transfer the batter into the greased baking pans and flatten the top.
Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool for about 1/2 hour before coating.
Shiny chocolate glaze: chop the chocolate and put in a small bowl.
In a small pot heat cream, honey and cinnamon to simmering point.
Pour the boiling cream over the chopped chocolate, wait a minute, and beat until you get a uniform and shiny chocolate ganache.
Pour the chocolate glaze over the cakes, and allow to cool completely at room temperature.
Garnish with cocoa nibs and serve.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Serve the cake at room temperature rather than cold from the fridge.
- Spices can vary according to personal taste.