When I was a little girl and tasted sundae for the first time, I immediately fell in love with it. The combination of frozen ice cream and hot chocolate sauce became one of my favorites. To this day it is one of my favorite American desserts, which I make easily at home. One way to upgrade sundae is to make the ice cream on your own, and because it’s so easy to make homemade ice cream; it’s certainly one of the easiest summer desserts there is.
There is something so satisfying about making ice cream at home. Although it is not similar to the Italian gelato, it is completely the kind of dessert that I have in my freezer all summer. This time I made the sundae with mascarpone chocolate chip ice cream and served it with hot chocolate sauce and roasted hazelnuts. The mascarpone makes the ice cream super creamy, rich and fluffy; the chocolate chips and hazelnuts add crunch to every bite; and the hot chocolate makes the sundae super decadent and delicious.
Mascarpone Chocolate Chip Sundae
For mascarpone chocolate chip ice cream:
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 625 ml. whipping cream very cold
- 400 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon brandy or rum
- 200 grams of finely chopped dark chocolate
- 150 grams of dark chocolate chips
For hot chocolate sauce:
- 80 grams of dark chocolate
- 125 ml. whipping cream
- Roasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
Mascarpone chocolate chip ice cream:
In a mixer bowl, whip the mascarpone at medium speed until it softens a bit.
Add whipping cream, increase the whipping speed and whip until stable.
Add in condensed milk, brandy and chopped chocolate and gently fold until a uniform mixture is obtained.
Pour the mixture into a large pan and sprinkle chocolate chips at the top for decoration.
Freeze the ice cream for at least 4-5 hours (preferably overnighuntil completely set.
Hot chocolate sauce:
Chop the chocolate and place in a bowl.
Add cream and melt together in the microwave or over double steam pot until everything melts. Mix well to a shiny ganache.
Put 2-3 scoops of ice cream in a serving bowl.
Generously pour hot chocolate sauce and sprinkle with nuts for garnish.
- The ice cream is kept in the freezer for up to a month.
- The sauce can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Before serving, heat it slightly in microwave.
- Instead of hazelnuts you can decorate with any other kind of nuts.