I like to cooperate with other bakers and bloggers. It always opens my mind and makes me bake things I wouldn’t necessarily baked if it weren’t for the meeting.
A few days ago, I finally baked with Dor, who is a passionate baker himself, and photographs the most stylish beautiful food photographs. We decided the theme for our meeting was going to be Hanukkah, which is celebrated here next week, and made two different kinds of quick doughnuts.
These Greek doughnuts (also known as Lukumades) are so easy to make. You only need a few common ingredients, mix them all in a bowl and deep-fry quickly. After they are fried you dip them in a honey glaze that adds both sweetness and a shiny glaze. They are such a delicious treat for Hanukkah and for all year round.
Lukumades - Greek Doughnuts
For the doughnuts:
- 200 ml. (1 cup) thick Greek yogurt
- 40 g (2 tbsp.) honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. ouzo
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 175 grams (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 liter of vegetable oil
For honey syrup:
- 180 ml. (3/4 cup) water
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 120 grams (1/3 cup) honey
In a large bowl, mix yogurt, honey, egg, ouzo, vanilla, salt, flour and baking powder until you get a sticky dough.
In a medium-wide pan heat oil over medium heat. The oil is ready for frying when a handle of a wooden spoon is inserted into it and small bubbles are created around it.
Using 2 tablespoons or an ice cream scoop, create small doughnuts and place carefully in the hot oil.
Fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden on all sides.
Remove from the oil into a plate lined with paper towel. Cool a bit at room temperature.
Put water, sugar and honey in a pot and cook over a high flame for 4-5 minutes until thick syrup is obtained.
Dip the prepared doughnuts in the syrup and serve.
- The doughnuts are at their best as soon as possible. It is recommended to serve them warm.
- It is important not to give up the ouzo because it helps to absorb less oil into the doughnuts when frying. If you do not have ouzo, you can convert with any other alcohol you may have such as vodka or rum.