Weekend is coming, and what is more suitable for a sunny, joyous weekend (because Purim is finally here!) than lemon marbled with jam? That’s right – nothing! This is one of the most delicious lemon cakes I have made recently – it is soft, very easy to prepare and marbled with sweet strawberry jam that adds delicious flavor and also a particularly tempting look.
This lemon cake is just the kind of recipes I love. You only need one bowl to make it, without separating eggs, whipping anything – just a few ingredients mixed in a bowl, all creating this delicious, melt-in-your-mouth cake that is perfect for the weekend and also as a sweet breakfast.
Lemon Cake Marbled with Jam
For the lemon cake:
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream (for nondairy cake use coconut milk)
- 80 ml. (1/3 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 2 small lemons
- 280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 75 grams (3/4 cup) almond meal
- 3-4 heaping tablespoons of strawberry or raspberry jam
- Sugar powder
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pans.
In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, oil, sour cream, juice and lemon zest until combined.
Add flour, baking powder and almond meal, and mix until uniform.
Pour the mixture into the cake pans and straighten the top.
Using a tablespoon or a teaspoon, pour mounds of jam on top of the cake batter. Using a knife, mix the top of the cake batter with the jam so you get a marble pattern.
Bake the cakes for 35-45 minutes or until they are golden and steady to the touch.
Cool completely at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Instead of almond meal you can use ground coconut in the same amount.
- Keep the cake in a closed container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, but it is recommended to serve it at room temperature so it is best in texture.
- You can use any kind of jam you like.
- The cake can be frozen, well wrapped, for up to a month.
- The recipe can also be prepared in a single 22 cm round cake pan. Baking time may be a bit longer.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.