Lemon cake is simply one of my favorites when the days are getting a little colder. It’s so fragrant, moist and delicious, and makes the perfect treat next to a warm cup of coffee. This lemon almond cake will become one of your favorites as well – I’m sure!
Almond Lemon Cake
2 loaf pans 30 cm long
For the cake:
250 grams sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
100 ml. vegetable oil
200 grams sour cream
60 ml. lemon juice
2 tbsp. milk
zest of 2 lemons
60 grams almond meal
280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
For the syrup:
125 ml (1/2 cup) water
80 grams sugar
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth.
- Add the oil in a thin stream while stirring and continue mixing well until it incorporated.
- Add sour cream, lemon juice, milk and lemon zest and beat well.
- Fold in almond meal, flour and baking powder, and stir just until blended.
- Transfer the batter into the pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Lemon syrup: in a small saucepan boil water, sugar and lemon and orange zest, and cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes, until the syrup is reduced slightly.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven pour the syrup on top. Cool the cake completely at room temperature.
- Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar and garnish with some citrus peels and fresh mint leaves.
- If you do not like almonds you can use shredded coconut instead.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. However, it is recommended to eat it at room temperature.
- You can freeze the cake for about a month. Defrost in the refrigerator or outside.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.