Lemon cake is simply one of my favorites when the days are getting a little colder. It’s so fragrant, moist and delicious, and makes the perfect treat next to a warm cup of coffee. This lemon almond cake will become one of your favorites as well – I’m sure!
Almond Lemon Cake
For the cake:
- 250 grams (1 1/4 cups) sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 200 grams (1 cup) sour cream
- 60 ml. (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. milk
- zest of 2 lemons
- 60 grams (2/3 cup) almond meal
- 280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
For the syrup:
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
In a large bowl whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth.
Add the oil in a thin stream while stirring and continue mixing well until it incorporated.
Add sour cream, lemon juice, milk and lemon zest and beat well.
Fold in almond meal, flour and baking powder, and stir just until blended.
Transfer the batter into the pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Lemon syrup: in a small saucepan boil water, sugar and lemon and orange zest, and cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes, until the syrup is reduced slightly.
Once the cake comes out of the oven pour the syrup on top. Cool the cake completely at room temperature.
Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar and garnish with some citrus peels and fresh mint leaves.
- If you do not like almonds you can use shredded coconut instead.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. However, it is recommended to eat it at room temperature.
- You can freeze the cake for about a month. Defrost in the refrigerator or outside.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.