Honey cake is one of my favorite pound cake all year round, but I usually make it only in fall holiday season, so that it doesn’t loses its charm and uniqueness.
This honey cake is infused with Earl Gray syrup and is super moist and delicious. I topped it with some honey whipped cream and lots of nuts, which made it so festive and perfect for Rosh Hashana feast.
Honey Cake with Earl Gray and Nuts
24 cm round cake pan
For the cake:
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
240 grams (2/3 cup) honey
240 ml. (1 cup) Earl Gray tea, cold
180 ml. (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
50 grams (1/2 cup) almond meal
10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
For honey and Earl Gray syrup:
125 ml. (1/2 cup) water
1 Earl Gray teabag
40 grams (2 tbsp.) honey
For royal icing (optional):
3 tbsp. sugar powder
1/2 tsp. water (or as needed)
For the honey whipped cream:
250 ml. (1 cup) whipping cream
40 grams (2 tbsp.) honey
1 tsp. instant vanilla pudding mix or cream stabilizer
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Toasted Macadamia nuts, halved
- Cake: preheat oven to 160c degrees and grease the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, salt, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, vanilla, cloves, honey, Earl Gray and oil until mixed.
- Add flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and whisk until you get a uniform batter. It is important to avoid over-processing that may damage the final cake texture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until it is golden, set and a skewer inserted in its center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- Honey and Earl Gray syrup: in a small pot, put water, Earl Gray and honey, and heat to a full boil.
- Remove from the heat and gently brush the cold cake with syrup until it absorbs it completely.
- Cool the cake completely before the decoration.
- Royal Icing: in a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and water until a very thick tahini texture is obtained. Add water or more sugar powder as needed.
- With a small spoon, sprinkle a little royal icing on the sides of the cold cake and let it drizzle down the edges.
- Honey whipped cream: in a mixer bowl whip cream, honey, instant pudding and vanilla extract until you get a very firm whipped cream.
- Transfer the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with 2 cm round piping tip and drizzle small mounds of cream at the top of the cake.
- Generously garnish with nuts and serve.
- You can use any type of nuts that you like, combine different types or use only one type – according to your personal taste.
- If you want a nondairy cake, use a cold coconut cream (at least 17% fat) in the same amount instead of cream.
- Instead of honey, you can use date syrup or maple in same amount.
- If you do not like Earl Gray you can use any other type of tea you like.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.