If you have 3-4 over ripe bananas in the kitchen – this recipe is just what you need. This healthy banana cake is super moist, easy to make and absolutely delicious.
Personally, I love banana cakes, and make them every time I have a few bananas in the kitchen. It’s always everyone’s favorite and in a few minutes of preparation you get a lovely dessert, that can also be frozen and made ahead.
This healthy banana cake has become one of my top favorites lately, since it’s a guilt-free cake, and made with whole wheat flour, natural yogurt and walnuts. A great idea for a sweet breakfast!
Healthy Banana Cake with Walnuts
For the cake:
- 2 large eggs
- 150 (3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 60 grams (3 tbsp.) honey or maple syrup
- 200 grams (1 cup) natural white yogurt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 150 grams (1 cup + 3 tbsp.) whole wheat flour
- 150 grams (1 cup + 1 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams (1 cup) chopped walnuts
- sugar powder for serving
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and lightly grease your pans.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, salt, honey, yogurt, oil, olive oil, vanilla, cinnamon and mashed bananas until the mixture is smooth.
Sift in flour, whole wheat flour and baking powder, add the chopped nuts and mix until incorporated.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
Garnish with some powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days in a closed container.
- You can replace the walnuts with any other nut. If you want, you can make the cake with all-purpose flour only.
- The cake can be frozen up to one month, well wrapped.
- Serve the cake at room temperature rather than cold from the refrigerator.