Making Krembo cookies is definitely one of my favorite things during winter time. Whenever the weather gets colder, I immediately get into the kitchen and make these delicious local treats. Traditionally they are made of plain vanilla biscuit topped with meringue and dipped in chocolate.
It’s one of the most common and popular treats around here on cold winter days, but the homemade version is my preferred way to consume this delicious treat.
I made these Krembo cookies a bit more festive, just in time for upcoming Christmas. They look a bit like Christmas trees, decorated with chocolate sprinkles and edible gold dust. They would become a hit at any Christmas party, as I simply don’t know anyone who can resist it.
Golden Krembo Cookies for Christmas
For the base:
- 10 butter cookies or small round plain vanilla biscuits
For the Swiss meringue:
- 2 large egg whites
- 120 grams sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract optional
- 150 dark chocolate
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Edible gold dust
Arrange the cookies on a baking pan lined with baking paper.
Heat a pot with boiling water over a low-medium flame.
In a fireproof bowl (or a stainless-steel bowl of an electric stand mixer) put the egg whites, sugar and salt and place on the pot with the boiling water.
Mix the egg whites mixture (no need to whisk) and cook gently in this way until the sugar dissolves.
Remove from the heat and beat the egg whites mixture at high speed for 8-10 minutes, or until you get a very stable Swiss meringue. If desired, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract at the end of the whipping.
Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a smooth 2-3 cm round piping tip.
Drizzle small mounds of meringue on top of the cookies.
Freeze the Krembo cookies for about an hour before coating to set.
Dissolve the chocolate in a microwave or on a double steam pot.
Add oil and mix well.
Transfer the melted chocolate to a tall glass that will be convenient for you to dip in the Krembo cookies.
Dip the Krembo cookies and place on top of the pan. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate candies in order for it to stick to the coating.
Cool a few more minutes in the freezer for complete stabilization.
Decorate with edible gold dust and serve.
- Keep the Krembo cookies in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- It is possible to freeze the prepared Krembo cookies in a closed container for up to two weeks.
- Instead of dark chocolate you can coat the Krembo cookies with milk or white chocolate in the same amount.
- Instead of chocolate candy you can use Funfetti.
- To the bottom I used small round butter cookies (4 cm in diameter) that I made from leftover short crust pastry.
- You can use any type of cookie you like for the base, such as Oreo etc.
- I used this edible gold dust (affiliate).
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.