Cake rolls are one of the desserts I love to make while in a hurry. It’s easy to make, quick and the result will always look more impressive than just a plain pound cake.
This chocolate cake roll is gluten free and combines chocolate cake with luscious pistachio cream. If you like pistachios and chocolate together – you will love it!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Roll with Pistachio Cream
Servings 30 cm long cake roll
For chocolate cake roll:
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 15 ml. (1 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 35 grams (1/3 cup) almond meal
- 30 grams (3 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
For pistachio cream:
- 375 ml. (1 1/2 cups) whipping cream very cold
- 40 grams (2 tbsp.) pistachio paste
- 50 grams (5 tbsp.) icing sugar
- 20 grams (2 tbsp.) vanilla pudding powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Dark chocolate ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- roasted pistachios coarsely chopped
- some grated dark chocolate
Chocolate Roll: preheat oven to 170c degrees and line a baking tray with lightly greased baking paper.
In an electric mixer bowl whip eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla on high speed until you get a very fluffy and bright mixture.
Add oil, cornstarch, almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold gently until mixture is smooth.
Pour the batter onto the pan, and spread it evenly on the pan using a spatula.
Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until set.
Cool completely at room temperature.
Turn the roll onto a clean surface and separates the baking paper.
Pistachio cream: in a bowl of a mixer whip cream, pistachio paste, powdered sugar, whipped cream stabilizer and vanilla on high speed until creamy and very stable.
Spread 2/3 of the amount of cream on the chocolate roll and spread evenly. Roll tightly and let cool in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
Transfer the remaining cream into a piping bag fitted with a large round piping tip and keep in the refrigerator until decorating the cake.
Dark chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Add heavy cream and solvents together in the microwave or over double boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
Place the roll on a rack and cover it with chocolate ganache.
Cool the roll for about 1/2 hour in the refrigerator until the ganache sets.
Pipe small mounds of pistachio cream on top, and sprinkle chopped toasted pistachios and grated chocolate.
- It is recommended to make the roll (without any decoration) one day before serving.
- Keep the chocolate cake roll in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.