I only started loving figs recently, but they simply stole my heart, and this year I have made so many different kinds of desserts with figs! This cake was made with the talented and close friend, Neta, who is an amazing photographer and blogger. It’s so easy to make, soft, and perfect for upcoming Yom Kippur.
Fig Cake with Pistachio Streusel
Two 25 cm long loaf pans
For the cake:
150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
3 large eggs
125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
125 ml. (1/2 cup) milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
50 grams (1/2 cup) almond meal
10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
15-20 fresh figs cut into quarters
For pistachio streusel:
25 grams natural peeled pistachios
50 grams (5 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
50 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
50 grams (1/4 cup) light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
Sugar powder for decoration
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pans.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, oil, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt into a uniform mixture.
- Add flour, almond meal and baking powder and mix until smooth batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the pan and place figs quarters at the top.
- Pistachio streusel: in a food processor with a steel blade, place pistachios, flour, butter, sugar and salt and blend at high speed for 1-2 minutes or until a crumbly mixture is obtained.
- Sprinkle the streusel at the top of the cakes generously.
- Bake the cakes for 35-45 minutes or until golden and set.
- Cool completely at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- It is recommended to serve the cake at room temperature rather than cold.
- Keep the cakes in a closed container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Instead of figs, you can use any other fruit you like.
- Instead of pistachios, you can use any other kind of nuts you like.
- The recipe can also be prepared in a 24 cm diameter circular pan instead of two loaf pans.
- Instead of almond meal, ground coconut can be used to diversify flavors.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.