If there is a candy that throws me straight into my childhood it is certainly Ferrero Rocher. I remember these luxury chocolate balls as one of my favorite desserts as a little girl. The sparkling gold box and the nuts hidden in every chocolate ball was my favorite dessert in every family meal.
This year, I decided to make Ferrero Rocher doughnuts with a luxurious golden look, as delicious dessert for Hanukkah that is simply chocolate heaven. These doughnuts are not only covered with chocolate and hazelnut bits, but also have a hidden Ferrero Rocher inside, that reveals only after the first bite.
These doughnuts are coated with chocolate ganache, caramelized hazelnuts and edible gold dust. They have a fancy appearance that automatically makes everyone say WOW.
Ferrero Rocher Doughnuts
For the dough:
250 grams (1 1/2 cups + 4 tbsp.) all-purpose flour
7 grams (2 tsp.) active dry yeast
40 grams (4 tbsp.) sugar
1 egg yolk
50 grams soft butter
125 ml. (1/2 cup) milk
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
10 Ferrero Rocher
1 liter vegetable oil
For chocolate ganache:
100 grams dark chocolate
125 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream
5 Ferrero Rocher (halved)
Caramelized hazelnut bits
Edible gold leaves (optional)
Edible gold dust
- Dough: in a mixer bowl with a kneading attachment, put flour, yeast, sugar, egg yolk, butter, milk and salt and knead for 10 minutes until uniform dough is obtained.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface, form a ball shape and place in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and allow rising for about an hour until the dough doubles its volume.
- Assemble the doughnuts: divide the dough into 10 equal parts.
- Spread each piece of dough slightly in your hands and place a Ferraro Rocher ball in the center. Close the edges and form a tight ball.
- Place the dough balls on a pan lined with greased baking paper. Brush the doughnuts with oil at the top.
- Cover and allow rising for 30-40 minutes in a warm place or until the doughnuts almost double their volume.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. The oil is ready for frying when a handle of a wooden spoon is placed into it and small bubbles are formed around it.
- Fry the donuts for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until they get a deep golden color.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel to remove excess oil. Cool slightly at room temperature.
- Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Add the cream and melt together in a microwave or over double-boiler until everything is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Dip the top of each doughnut in ganache.
- Decorate with half a Ferrero Rocher, caramelized hazelnut bits, gold leaves and gold dust and serve.
- The doughnuts are at their best on the day of preparation. It is recommended to fry them relatively close to serving.
- It is possible to omit the golden leaves and the gold powder, but they add a luxurious touch to the doughnuts, which is very suitable for Ferrero Rocher.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.