If you like coffee and chocolate together, you’re gonna love this cake. This is a soft and tender espresso cake with lots of chocolate chips inside that melt in your mouth. It’s recommended to serve it warm.
Espresso Chocolate Chip Cake
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml.) Irish Cream
- 3-4 tbsp. (45 ml.) espresso
- 120 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 ml. (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 6 grams (1 heaping teaspoon) baking powder
- 80 grams dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour to coat the chocolate chips
For chocolate glaze:
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
In a bowl of a mixer with a whipping-attachment whip eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt and for 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is very fluffy and airy.
In a small separate bowl mix Irish Cream, espresso, oil and sour cream, and add into the whipped eggs mixture in a thin stream while whipping slowly.
Sift in flour and baking powder, and fold just until you get a smooth batter.
In a small bowl, mix chocolate chips with a spoon of flour.
Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir in just until incorporated.
Transfer the batter into the pans and bake for about 25-35 minutes or until golden brown and fully baked.
Cool the cakes completely before glazing.
Chocolate glaze: melt the chocolate and add in the oil. Mix well.
Drizzle melted chocolate with a spoon over the cakes and leave to set.
Serve the cake at room temperature.
- Eggs must be at room temperature.
- Keep the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
- You can also freeze the cake, tightly wrapped for a month.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.