I love energy bars, but as a quite heavy consumer of the store-bought bars, I know it’s not always as healthy as it looks. Most popular brands are full of ingredients I wouldn’t necessarily add to my nutrition.
This is why I started making energy bars on my own. This way I know exactly what’s inside and it’s cheaper and tastier than any energy bar you buy.
These are packed with dates, tahini and lots of dried fruit, seeds and nuts, and are the perfect treat before or after a good workout. it’s vegan, nondairy and gluten free so everyone will love it.
Energy Bars with Dates and Nuts
- 300 grams (3 cups) whole oats (make sure to get gluten free)
- 100 grams (1 cup) sliced blanched almonds
- 100 grams (1 cup) cashew nuts
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) shredded coconut
- 25 grams (2 tbsp.) flaxseed
- 25 grams (3 tbsp.) sesame seeds
- 25 grams (3 tbsp.) Goji berries
- 2-3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 500 grams pitted Madjhul dates 1 package
- 180 grams (1/2 cup) honey or date-syrup or maple
- 240 grams (1 cup) raw tahini paste
Preheat oven to 160c degrees.
On a baking pan lined with baking paper place oats, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, coconut, flax and sesame seeds and roast for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is lightly golden.
Cool slightly at room temperature. Add in the Goji berries and chia seeds and mix.
In a bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment, put the dates and blend on medium speed until softened slightly.
Add tahini and honey and mix until blended.
Add in the oats, nuts and seeds, and continue to blend on low speed until the mixture is smooth everything is incorporated.
Spread the mixture in a 20*30 cm pan lined with baking paper and press firmly to the desired thickness.
Cool for 4-5 hours in the refrigerator and cut into squares of desired size.
- The energy bars are well kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two weeks. It can also be frozen for up to a month.
- You can use grains and nuts depending on personal taste.
- Goji berries and chia seeds are available in health food stores.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.